New Dorp Light (New York, N.Y.)

Enlarge text Shrink text
  • Corporate Body
| System number 987012405086405171

Information for Authority record

Name (Latin)
New Dorp Light (New York, N.Y.)
Other forms of name
Moravian Light (New York, N.Y.)
New Dorp Beacon (New York, N.Y.)
New Dorp Light Station (New York, N.Y.)
See Also From tracing topical name
Dwellings New York (State)
Lighthouses New York (State)
MARC
MARC

Other Identifiers

Wikidata: Q1796230
Library of congress: sh2017005095
Sources of Information
  • Work cat.: New Dorp Light, New Dorp Heights, Altamont Avenue, Staten Island,1967:page 1 (New Dorp Light; built about 1854; located on Staten Island, NY; the New Dorp Light, also known as the New Dorp Beacon or Moravian Light; lighthouse established in 1856, under jurisdiction of the Federal Lighthouse Service)
  • AIA guide to New York City, 5th ed., 2010:p. 930 (Originally New Dorp Light Station/now private house; located at 25 Boyle Street, Staten Island; built 1854; former Coast Guard navigation beacon; now decommissioned and sees adaptive reuse as a private house)
  • Guide to New York City Landmarks, c2009:p. 381 (New Dorp Light, designated landmark 1967; located at 25 Boyle St., Staten Island; built ca. 1854; served for almost 90 years as a beacon to ships entering New York harbor; now converted to a residence)
1 / 1

Wikipedia description:

The New Dorp Lighthouse is a decommissioned lighthouse located in the New Dorp section of Staten Island, New York City. Funds for the lighthouse were approved by United States Congress on August 31, 1852 and the structure was completed in 1856. The lighthouse, built to serve as a rear range light to mark Swash Channel (a shipping channel in Lower New York Bay), was built by Richard Carlow, who also built the similar Chapel Hill and Point Comfort Range Lights in New Jersey around the same time. Ships sailing through Swash Channel were instructed to bring the New Dorp range light “in one” and steer towards the lights until the Chapel Hill Light came into view, which would then mark the channel past West Bank. The original beacon was a second-order range lens showing a fixed red light that shined 192 feet (59 m) above sea level. In 1891 the light was changed to fixed white. In 1907 the light source was changed from oil to incandescent oil vapor, which magnified the intensity of the light. In 1939 a sixth-order range lens was installed, showing a fixed white light. John B. Fountain was the first light keeper, who resided in the light keepers house upon which the lighthouse tower was built. The New Dorp Lighthouse was decommissioned and boarded up in 1964. The lighthouse and land were neglected and vandalized for ten years until being sold at auction to a Staten Island resident named John Vokral for $32,000 in 1974. Vokral did extensive restoration work on the lighthouse, which now serves as a private residence. New Dorp Light was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. It was designated a New York City Landmark in 1967. It is not open to the public.

Read more on Wikipedia >