S. Apollinare nuovo (Basilica

Enlarge text Shrink text
  • Corporate Body
| System number 987007572983805171

Information for Authority record

Name (Latin)
S. Apollinare nuovo (Basilica : Ravenna, Italy)
Other forms of name
Basilica di S. Apollinare nuovo (Ravenna, Italy)
Ravenna (Italy). S. Apollinare nuovo (Basilica)
Ravenna. Sant'Apollinare nuovo (Basilica)
S. Apollinare dentro (Basilica : Ravenna, Italy)
Sant'Apollinare nuovo (Basilica : Ravenna, Italy)
Coordinates
12.2046 12.2046 44.416738 44.416738 (gooearth )
MARC
MARC

Other Identifiers

Wikidata: Q832278
Library of congress: no 92026839
HAI10: 000470030
Sources of Information
  • Bovini, G. Mosaici di S. Apollinare nuovo di Ravenna, 1958:p. 9 (basilica; was also called S. Martino "in Coelo aureo" [no publs. in LC database] under Theodoric)
  • Encic. itali., 1931:v. 3, p. 671 (basilica in the city of Ravenna which has come to be called S. Apollinare nuovo or S. Apollinare dentro (as opposed to the one outside the walls, S. Apollinare fuori or S. Apollinare in Classe; when consecrated received the name S. Martino in Ciel d'oro [no publs. in LC database]); v. 28, pl. 178 (Basilica di S. Apollinare nuovo)
  • Italy, a Phaidon cultural guide, 1985:p. 554 (S. Apollinare nuovo; basilica built by Theodoric in 500-4; original name S. Martino in Coelo auro [no publs. in LC database]; new name in 560)
  • Key monuments in the hist. of arch., 1965:p. 130 (S. Apollinare nuovo, Ravenna, Italy; c. 520)
  • LC database, 10-13-92(hdg.: Ravenna. Sant'Apollinare nuovo (Basilica))
1 / 1

Wikipedia description:

The Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo is a basilica church in Ravenna, Italy. It was erected by the Ostrogothic king Theodoric the Great as his palace chapel during the first quarter of the 6th century (as attested to in the Liber Pontificalis). This Arian church was originally dedicated in 504 AD to "Christ the Redeemer". Its present dedication dates only from the 9th century. The basilica's current façade, which features a portico, dates to the 16th century, while the adjacent tower dates to the 10th century. It was reconsecrated in 561 AD, under the rule of the Byzantine emperor Justinian I, under the new name "Sanctus Martinus in Coelo Aureo" ("Saint Martin in Golden Heaven"). Suppressing the Arian church, Justinian rededicated the church to Saint Martin of Tours, a foe of Arianism. According to legend, Pope Gregory the Great ordered that the mosaics in the church be blackened, as their golden glory distracted worshipers from their prayers. The basilica was renamed again in 856 AD when relics of Saint Apollinaris were transferred from the Basilica of Sant'Apollinare in Classe because of the threat posed by frequent raids of pirates from the Adriatic Sea. Its apse and atrium underwent modernization at various times, beginning in the 6th century with the destruction of mosaics whose themes were too overtly Arian or which expressed the king's glory, but the mosaics of the lateral walls, twenty-four columns with simplified Corinthian capitals, and an Ambo are preserved. On some columns, images of arms and hands can be seen, which are parts of figures once representing praying Goths and Theodoric's court, deleted in Byzantine times. Renovations (and alterations) were done to the mosaics in the mid-19th century by Felice Kibel. The present apse is a reconstruction after being damaged during World War II.

Read more on Wikipedia >