Tweed Courthouse (New York, N.Y.)

Enlarge text Shrink text
  • Corporate Body
| System number 987007286377405171

Information for Authority record

Name (Latin)
Tweed Courthouse (New York, N.Y.)
Other forms of name
New York County Courthouse (New York, N.Y. : Chambers Street)
Old New York County Courthouse (New York, N.Y.)
Coordinates
-74.00555556 -74.00555556 40.71333333 40.71333333 (gooearth )
See Also From tracing topical name
Courthouses New York (State)
MARC
MARC

Other Identifiers

VIAF: 242769324
Wikidata: Q1105773
Library of congress: n 2005085743
Sources of Information
  • Waite, John G. Tweed Courthouse, 2006:CIP t.p. (Tweed Courthouse) galley pref. (The old New York county courthouse, better known as Tweed Courthouse, is one of New York City's great civic monuments; built between 1861 and 1881, creation of two of the city's most prominant 19th cent. architects, John Kellum and Leopold Eidlitz; the courthouse is the legacy of Tammany Hall "Boss" William M. Tweed, who controlled the initial construction)
  • Work cat.: 2005-057232: Tweed Courthouse, 2006:galley (Old New York County Courthouse; known as Tweed Courthouse; in New York City; restored, and in 2002-3 used for the Dept. of Education)
  • National Register of Historic Places(Tweed Courthouse, also known as Old New York County Courthouse, 52 Chambers St., New York)
  • Web site GothamGazette.com(lists New York County Courthouse (Tweed Courthouse) at 52 Chambers St.; also lists New York County Courthouse at 60 Centre Street and at 500 Pearl Street)
1 / 1

Wikipedia description:

The Tweed Courthouse (also known as the Old New York County Courthouse) is a historic courthouse building at 52 Chambers Street in the Civic Center of Manhattan in New York City, New York, U.S. It was built in the Italianate style with Romanesque Revival interiors. William M. "Boss" Tweed—the corrupt leader of Tammany Hall, a political machine that controlled the New York state and city governments when the courthouse was built—oversaw the building's erection. The Tweed Courthouse served as a judicial building for New York County, a county of New York state coextensive with the New York City borough of Manhattan. It is the second-oldest city government building in the borough, after City Hall. The structure comprises pavilions to the east and west of a central section, as well as a rear wing to the south. Architect John Kellum and political appointee Thomas Little designed the first portion of the building, which was constructed from 1861 to 1872. Construction was interrupted in 1871 when Kellum died and the corruption involved in the building's construction was exposed to the public. The project was completed by architect Leopold Eidlitz, who added the rear wing and finished the interior between 1877 and 1881. The media criticized the project as wasteful and gaudy during the courthouse's construction, and for a century after its completion, there were frequent proposals to demolish the building. Several modifications were made after completion, including removal of its front steps. Modern restoration and historic preservation were completed in 2001. The building has since housed the New York City Department of Education's headquarters on its upper floors and schools on its ground level. The Tweed Courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark, and its facade and interior are both New York City designated landmarks.

Read more on Wikipedia >