Baltimore Hebrew Congregation (Baltimore, Md.)
Enlarge text Shrink text-
Save successfulThe item can be found in your Personal ZoneשגיאהLog in to your account to save
Information for Authority record
Name (Latin)
Baltimore Hebrew Congregation (Baltimore, Md.)
Other forms of name
Baltimore Hebrew Congregation
Lloyd Street Synagogue (Baltimore, Md.)
Madison Avenue Temple (Baltimore, Md.)
BHC (Baltimore Hebrew Congregation)
B.H.C. (Baltimore Hebrew Congregation)
Start period
1830
Place of residence/headquarters
Baltimore (Md.)
Sources of Information
- NUCMC data from Jewish Hist. Society of Maryland (Baltimore) for Weinberg, L. Papers, 1903-1975(Baltimore Hebrew Congregation, Baltimore, Md.; official name has always been Baltimore Hebrew Congregation; has been known over time by a number of informal names: Nidche Yisrael [but see below], Lloyd Street Synagogue, and Madison Avenue Temple)
- Baltimore, Md., city dir., 1942(Baltimore Hebrew Congregation)
- Baltimore Hebrew Cong. WWW, June 11, 2009(Baltimore Hebrew Congregation; abbrev.: BHC; originally named Nidche Yisroel [no publs. in LC database], BHC was founded in 1830, and for the first fifteen years of its existence, services were held in a small room above a local grocery in Baltimore; in 1845, the Congregation moved to Lloyd St. under the new name, Baltimore Hebrew Congregation; that building, the Lloyd Street Synagogue, the third-oldest synagogue building in the U.S., is now preserved as a museum; by the end of the 1800s, as the city of Baltimore and its Jewish population grew, so too did the number of BHC Congregants; in 1891, BHC moved to Madison Ave., where it built a new temple to meet the growing Congregation's needs; the Congregation moved to its final home on Park Heights Ave., on the border of Baltimore City and Baltimore County, following the Second World War, in 1951)
- Pruce, E. Synagogues, temples and congregations of Maryland, 1993p. 28 (Baltimore Hebrew Congregation (Nidche Yisrael); first Hebrew organization chartered in Maryland (1830); originally strictly Orthodox, the congregation gradually turned toward Reform about 1870; the Madison Ave. Temple was dedicated in 1891; farewell services for the old Madison Ave. structure were held on 4 Nov. 1951; and dedication ceremonies for the new Park Heights structure took place 9 Nov. 1951)
- LCN: Baltimore Hebrew Congregation (Baltimore. Md.)
Wikipedia description:
The Baltimore Hebrew Congregation is a Reform Jewish congregation and synagogue located at 7401 Park Heights Avenue, in Pikesville, on the border of Baltimore City and Baltimore County, Maryland, in the United States.
Read more on Wikipedia >