Al-Dustur - الدستور
You are currently viewing a newspaper from our Jrayed Collection (the Archive of Arabic Newspapers of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine). To access the collection's specialized search tools, click here.
About this newspaper
Title: Al-Dustur - الدستور
Available online: 6 December 1910 - 26 November 1913 (6 issues; 21 pages)
Region: The Middle East
Country: Ottoman Palestine
Collection: Jrayed - Arabic Newspaper Archive of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine
Al-Dustur (The Constitution) was the newspaper of the Constitutional School in Jerusalem, which was established by Khalil al-Sakakini, 'Ali Jarallah, Jamil al-Khalidi, and Aftim Mushabbak in 1909. It was managed by Khalil Sakakini, based on his pedagogical approach to alternative education, and it was named after the Ottoman constitution enacted the year before. In the years 1910 and 1911, al-Dustur was published in a handwritten version. It was a weekly humor, literary, and current events newspaper edited by fifth-grade students, and was managed by Ahmad Samih Al-Khalidi. The first and only printed issue was published in 1913, when the Turkish government stopped the printing of Filastin. The chief administrator and owner was Jamil Al-Khalidi and Yusuf al-'Isa (owner of Filastin) was the editor-in-chief. The newspaper was based on the principle of telling the unvarnished truth. It followed the same line as Filastin.
[ + Show More ][ - Show Less ]