⁨⁨Al-Muntada⁩ - ⁨المنتدى⁩⁩

You are currently viewing a newspaper from our Jrayed Collection (the Archive of Arabic Newspapers of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine). To access the collection's specialized search tools, click here.

About this newspaper

Title: ⁨⁨Al-Muntada⁩ - ⁨المنتدى⁩⁩
Available online: 1 April 1943 - 28 March 1947 (90 issues)
Language: ⁨Arabic⁩
Country: ⁨Mandatory Palestine⁩
City: ⁨Jerusalem⁩
Collection: ⁨Jrayed - Arabic Newspaper Archive of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine⁩
Frequency: ⁨Monthly⁩ / ⁨Weekly⁩

Description:

Al-Muntada was a government-sponsored publication, in color, that focused on cultural topics. One of its stated goals was to promote modernization by emphasizing the benefits of modern technology. The journal began publication in 1943 at the Government Printing Office in cooperation with the Palestine Broadcast Authority, and ceased publication in 1947. The Government Printing Office was a Mandatory institution whose main function was publishing government notifications, orders, and laws; it was also as the main censor and was responsible for reviewing all foreign publications, franchising and licenses for newspaper and journalists, and issuing closure orders to newspapers. The most prominent Palestinian journalist to work in this office was 'Azmi al-Nashashibi (Jerusalem, 1903-1995). Al-Nashashibi was a graduate of the American University of Beirut with degrees in philosophy and literature (1919), and earned a diploma in journalism and political science from the University of London (1930). Al-Nashashibi began his professional career as the editor-in-chief of the English language version of the newspaper Filastin (published in Jaffa from 1929-1932), and later served in various government posts, including as director of the Palestine Broadcast Authority from 1944 to 1948. After 1948 he was elected senior positions in the Jordanian government. Following the journal’s closure for unknown reasons, the Government Printing Office began publishing in its place a high quality magazine called Al-Qafila, beginning in April 1947. Edited by Hasan Mustafa, the magazine featured articles by prominent writers, including the author and journalist Hazem Nusseibeh. The magazine ceased publication after eight months (in November 1947), probably due to the security situation in the country at the time.
[ + Show More ]