Al-Ittihad - الإتحاد
You are currently viewing a newspaper from our Jrayed Collection (the Archive of Arabic Newspapers of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine). To access the collection's specialized search tools, click here.
About this newspaper
Al-Ittihad (“the Union”) is considered Israel's most most important Arabic newspaper due to its status as the only independent Arab newspaper published prior to 1948 that continues to be published today. It was also the only non-governmental Arab newspaper published under the Israeli Military Governorate (1948 – 1966).
Al-Ittihad began as the official journal of the National Liberation League in Palestine and was founded by Emile Touma, Tawfiq Toubi, Fuad Nassar and Emile Habibi. First published on May 14th, 1944, the publication was distributed weekly on Fridays. Beginning in September 1948, it became the official publication of the Israeli Communist Party. Founder Emile Touma was the owner and editor-in-chief of the newspaper at that time.
Under the British Mandate, the newspaper published an English supplement as well as an Armenian supplement, catering to the many members of the Armenian community who were aligned with the newspaper's Communist ideology.
During the British Mandate period, the newspaper did not serve as a breaking news publication due to its distinct nature among the Palestinian Arab press, and therefore refrained from publishing local news items or cultural and musical events. No efforts were made to attract or incite readers, focusing instead on political editorials, publicizing anti-colonialist communist propaganda and calling on the working class to unite and work together to preserve their rights.
After May 1948 the newspaper was published Bi-Weekly with Emile Habibi at the helm as the main editor, and is currently printed as a daily.