Mir'at Al-Sharq (Originally: Meerat Al Sherk) - مرﺁة الشرق
12 Sunday, 12 July 1925
19 Sunday, 19 July 1925
26 Sunday, 26 July 1925
You are currently viewing a newspaper from our Jrayed Collection (the Archive of Arabic Newspapers of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine). To access the collection's specialized search tools, click here.
About this newspaper
Title: Mir'at Al-Sharq (Originally: Meerat Al Sherk) - مرﺁة الشرق
Available online: 17 September 1919 - 31 August 1938 (1,132 issues; 6,443 pages)
Region: The Middle East
Country: Mandatory Palestine
Collection: Jrayed - Arabic Newspaper Archive of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine
Frequency: Weekly / Bi-Weekly
One of the prominent traits of Mir'at Al-Sharq (Mirror of the East) was that it was controversial. It supported the opposition against the Mufti and the Supreme Muslim Council, and its owners participated in the establishment of new parties and organizations. On the other hand, in the 1930s, the newspaper took a positive stance on the Mandatory regime and even emphasized positive aspects of the Zionist project and called for exploiting Jewish immigration for the development of the county. Nevertheless, it is very difficult to point to a uniform policy which the newspaper maintained over time. Its founder was the educator and journalist Bulus Shehada (Ramallah, 1882-1943), a graduate of the English College in Jerusalem. In 1908, Shehada fled the country to Egypt following his comments critical of the Sultan and the Ottoman regime. He was politically active and took part in national committees in Palestine. The newspaper’s offices were attacked several times by those who disapproved of the newspaper’s policy that sometimes took a conciliatory tone toward the Mandate authorities. The newspaper was even accused by fellow journalists of being a mouthpiece for the Mandate regime, contradicting the interests of Arab society and its national aspirations. Initially it was published in two languages, Arabic and English, but after a brief, undetermined time it was published only in Arabic. The newspaper closed in 1939 probably due to its coverage of the political activity of the years of the general strike.
[ + Show More ][ - Show Less ]