Al-Jazira - الجزيرة
You are currently viewing a newspaper from our Jrayed Collection (the Archive of Arabic Newspapers of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine). To access the collection's specialized search tools, click here.
About this newspaper
Title: Al-Jazira - الجزيرة
Available online: 2 February 1925 - 29 September 1927 (167 issues; 780 pages)
Region: The Middle East
Country: Mandatory Palestine
Collection: Jrayed - Arabic Newspaper Archive of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine
Al-Jazira was an Arabic newspaper owned by Hasan Fahmi and Muhammad Kamil al-Dajani, and was published twice a week in Jaffa. The first issue was published on January 31st, 1924. The paper’s publication began following Sharif Hussein’s visit to Jordan. The newspaper’s name was chosen to reflect the owners’ belief in Arab unity. Al-Jazira (The Island) refers to the Arabian Peninsula, which is a symbol of longed-for Arab unity. Al-Jazira criticized the decline of the Arab nation, especially in terms of political activity regarding the issue of Palestine. It accused local parties of quarrelling among themselves instead of serving the nation and addressing the danger of Zionism and opposing it.
[ + Show More ][ - Show Less ]