El-Carmel - الكرمل
You are currently viewing a newspaper from our Jrayed Collection (the Archive of Arabic Newspapers of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine). To access the collection's specialized search tools, click here.
About this newspaper
Title: El-Carmel - الكرمل
Available online: 5 October 1920 - 2 August 1941 (1,238 issues; 8,050 pages)
Region: The Middle East
Country: Ottoman Palestine / Mandatory Palestine
Collection: Jrayed - Arabic Newspaper Archive of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine
El-Carmel was founded in 1908 as a weekly newspaper by Najib Nassar. The newspaper focused on political and social issues, particularly those dealing with land sales to agents from the Zionist movement, and with improving conditions for villagers and peasants. Nassar also dedicated a weekly supplement to women's issues. At the beginning of his activities, he supported the Ottoman authorities, but later denounced and opposed their suppressive actions toward Arab nationalists. El-Carmel was closed due to its dispute with the Ottoman authorities in the years 1913 and 1914. The newspaper resumed its activities during the British mandate between 1920 and 1940. In 1934, Nassar changed the name of the newspaper to The New El-Carmel, and advocated resistance to Zionism and the British Mandate. However, financial difficulties ultimately led to the newspaper's closure in 1942.
[ + Show More ][ - Show Less ]