Al-Qafila - القافلة
You are currently viewing a newspaper from our Jrayed Collection (the Archive of Arabic Newspapers of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine). To access the collection's specialized search tools, click here.
About this newspaper
Title: Al-Qafila - القافلة
Available online: 4 April 1947 - 21 November 1947 (19 issues; 431 pages)
Region: The Middle East
Country: Mandatory Palestine
Collection: Jrayed - Arabic Newspaper Archive of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine
Al-Qafila was a government-sponsored weekly on culture replacing Al-Muntada, which ceased publication in the beginning of 1947. Like Al-Muntada, its covers were published in high-quality color. Al-Qafila, published by the Government Printing Office in cooperation with the Palestine Broadcast Authority, first came out in April 1947 and stopped publication in November of that same year. Its aims, identical to Al-Muntada's, focused on promoting modernization in Palestine by emphasizing the benefits of modern technology. The weekly featured both special and regular sections including a women’s section, a section on national and Arab cultural activities (such as conferences), a short story section, a sports section, and a section dedicated to the various radio stations: Radio Cairo, Radio “Dar,” and the Palestinian station “Huna al-Quds.” In addition to translations of newspaper articles and longer essays originally published in English, the weekly also published articles by local Arab intellectuals and those from other Arab countries, on a variety of topics not explicitly political in nature, such as literature and art.
[ + Show More ][ - Show Less ]