Al-Akhbar - الأخبار
You are currently viewing a newspaper from our Jrayed Collection (the Archive of Arabic Newspapers of Ottoman and Mandatory Palestine). To access the collection's specialized search tools, click here.
About this newspaper
Al-Akhbar ("The News") was a literary, political and agricultural newspaper. The owner was Mr. Bandali Hana Ghurabi. Nissim Malul edited the newspaper until it reached its 50th issue, when a group of journalists took over the editorial position, including: 'Arif Al Azzuni, Sa'id al-Far, Alfonse Ya'qub and others.
The first issue was published on June 26, 1909 until the publishing ceased after the outbreak of the First World War. The newspaper resumed its publishing after the end of the war on August 18, 1919. The newspaper continued to publish for nearly thirty years (throughout the Mandate period), until it stopped in 1948. Al-Akhbar's owner used the name “Al Akhbar for Palestine newspaper” when it was prohibited for several days.
The newspaper was known for its support for the Zionist-Jewish settlement movement, despite the campaigns of opposition it faced from other Arabic newspapers.