About this newspaper
A Polish-language weekly newspaper published in Warsaw, dedicated to the "struggle of Palestine" (pismo poświęcone sprawie walki o palestynę). Its Hebrew slogan, as it appeared on each cover, was "מלכות ישראל בחיל".
The newspaper originally appeared in the midst of the 1936-1939 Arab revolt in Mandatory Palestine. The newspapers' main goal was to enlist support for the more activist camp responding to the recent waves of violence; specifically calls for armament and other precautions in order to contain future violence. Its scope also included theoretical articles and columns that covered different aspects of the Jewish settlement (Yishuv) in Mandatory Palestine.
In spite of the fact that it was the official organ of the Revisionist movement in Poland, the editors of the newspaper tried to downplay its partisan nature (as can be seen in the editor's note in the 6th issue, 25.11.1938). Yet the articles published, the translations that were carefully selected, and the partisan nature of reports concerning Jewish settlement in Mandatory Palestine, could hardly camouflage the newspaper's political affiliation. The most distinct example for this matter is the drawing that appeared on the cover page of the 5th issue (11.11.1938) that was dedicated to the Polish day of independence; a hand holding a gun on the background of the map of Eretz-Israel, including both banks of the Jordan River, with the slogan "Only this way!" (In Polish- Tylko Tak). This drawing would later become the iconic symbol of the Revisionist movement and its paramilitary wing, the Irgun (Etzel).
In the issue of 23.6.1939 the newspaper published the official proclamations issued by the Irgun. And in the issue of 30.6.1939 the editors specifically emphasized the newspaper's aim is to "represent the ideology of the Irgun" (p.3). The writers' in the newspaper did not publish under their real names, in order to protect them from harassment. The name of the editor in chief, listed in all of the issues, was "Engineer A. Pfeffer" (Anatol Pfeffer), although the living spirit and the dominant person behind both editorship and distribution was Irgun activist Lili Starssman (later known as Ayala Lubinski). According to different accounts, the writing staff included Strassman herself, her husband Dr. Henryk Strassman, Avraham (Yair) Stern, Dr. Feigenberg, Dr. Jacob Bauer (who also published his drawings) and Isaac Rubinstein.
The newspaper had various sections; reports concerning the Arab terror attacks on the Jewish settlement in Mandatory Palestine, political news dedicated mainly to the Zionist movement, military and political reviews, a section dedicated to basic aspects of daily life of the Yishuv, especially those dealing with the armed struggle (including coverage of the paramilitary organizations; Irgun, Haganah, Palmach). Translations of poems and essays also appeared- especially in the first period of the newspapers' publication- and there you can find much from the pen of the prominent Revisionist intellectual and poet, Uri Zvi Greenberg. Other essays often appeared without their writer's names, due to reasons previously mentioned.
The newspaper abstained from publishing ads, so the only real income it generated was the half-year subscription fees the readers paid. No photos at all appeared in the newspaper, while drawings, as well as illustrations were also scarce; those that did appear were usually maps or in the form infographics, rather than caricatures, that were very popular in other newspapers. Each issue was printed in 4,000 copies, and usually contained 16 pages.
The last issue appeared on 1.9.1939, the day when the 2nd World war commenced with the invasion of Poland. Within a week the printing house which printed the newspaper had been bombed by the Germans.
This newspaper is brought to you thanks to: