Back to search results

Title Great Synagogue in Kalvarija Interior, detail.
Related place Kalvarija (Lithuania) - related place
Original Library/publisher אוסף המרכז לאמנות יהודית - Center for Jewish Art Collection
Creation Date 1993
Citation Note Lithuania
Marijampolė County
Kalvarija
16 (18) Sodų St.
Content Ashkenazi
Host Item CJA Jewish Architecture-126-A09826
Description The Great Synagogue, built in 1795-1803, is currently a ruined roofless building
its roof and the ceiling collapsed in 1992-96. Its walls are ca. 1.50 m thick, built of stone and brick, and plastered. The architecture combines Baroque and Neo-Classicist features. In 1857 Leopold Salkowski measured the Great Synagogue and drew its ground plan, which shows that the main building was surrounded by annexes from three sides, except the southeast. The ground plan shows an almost square prayer hall that could be accessed by four stairs apparently descending from the vestibule. The prayer hall was surrounded with lower women's sections from the southwestern and northeastern sides. The northwestern annex included a central vestibule with two entrance doors, with two kloyzn of almost square plan on its sides, equipped with stoves. The first floor above the northwestern annex was a gallery, as the text in the drawing states
20 it was accessed via exterior staircases on the southwestern and northeastern façades. The segment-headed openings connecting the women's section with the prayer hall are shown on the plan and currently can be seen in the lower part of the southwestern wall. Four pillars surrounding the bimah (strangely enough not shown on Sałkowski's ground plan) were situated in the central part of the hall, thus dividing its space into nine bays. The traces of lunettes discernible above the windows provide evidence of the former vaulting of the hall. A postcard from the early 20th century shows the Great Synagogue surrounded with one- and two-storey annexes above which there rises an impressive Baroque gable. The building was covered with a high roof of ceramic tiles. After the damage of WWI, the Great Synagogue underwent major reconstruction: the annexes on the three sides were razed, the openings that connected them with the prayer hall bricked up, and the building was reduced to the size of the prayer hall. The women's section was installed on a new U-shaped g
Language No linguistic content
Identifier CJA Jewish Architecture-126-A09826
System Number 997000309970405171

When using this material, please acknowledge the source of the material as follows:

המרכז לאמנות יהודית באוניברסיטה העברית בירושלים Center for Jewish Art at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem

תנאי השימוש:

The item is subject to copyright and/or contractual terms of use.

You may use this item for non-commercial teaching and research purposes only, provided that due credit is given to the creator(s) and/or to the owner of the collection, as applicable.

It is forbidden to harm the author’s honor or reputation by means of altering the item or damaging the integrity of the item.

In addition to specifying the name(s) of the creator(s) when making use of their work, please acknowledge the source of the material as follows:

From the collection of the National Library of Israel, courtesy of: ______*.

*The name of the collection owner that is indicated in the Library catalog

Any use that does not comply with the above conditions is subject to consent from the owner of copyright in the item and/or the owner of the collection from which the item originated, as applicable.

For any additional copyright information please contact NLI’s copyright inquiry service here.

If you believe that there is an error in the information above, or in case of any concern of copyright infringement in connection with this item, please contact us by e-mail: copyright@nli.org.il

MARC RECORDS
Great Synagogue in Kalvarija Interior, detail – הספרייה הלאומית
Tags

Have more information? Found a mistake?